As your pregnancy progresses, you can hardly wait to meet your new little one. What you may not look forwarding to meeting, however, are the numerous aches and pains common with pregnancy. As the baby develops, the changes in your body can wreak havoc on your back and joints, increasing pain. Back pain during pregnancy can also lead to complications during delivery and increased postpartum recovery time.
The good news is you don’t have to live in pain. Chiropractors are trained to help relieve pain that pregnant women experience, giving you the ability to relax and focus on checking items off your pre-baby to-do list. Here are five ways treatment from a chiropractor can help back pain during pregnancy become a thing of the past:
- Keep Your Spine In Line. Compensating for the extra weight you put on in a short amount of time is no easy task on the body. The spine can twist and pull as the baby grows causing pain for mama-to-be. A chiropractic adjustment helps to alleviate some of the pressure by ensuring the spine is in alignment and the supporting tendons are functioning properly.
- No More Popping Pain Pills. As an expectant mother, you strive to avoid medication when you can. Whether your back pain is minor or more severe, a chiropractic adjustment can help relieve it. The focus of chiropractic treatment is finding and treating the underlying causes of pain instead of simply masking them.
- Promote Healing. As your belly grows, so does the strain placed on your hips, lower back, legs, and ankles. Chiropractic treatments help reduce this strain by strengthening the body, improving the balance of additional weight, and minimizing pressure on the joints.
- Proper Pelvic Alignment for a Less Complicated Delivery. According to the American Pregnancy Association, the alignment of the pelvis is critical during delivery. “When the pelvis is misaligned it may reduce the amount of room available for the developing baby. This restriction is called intrauterine constraint. A misaligned pelvis may also make it difficult for the baby to get into the best possible position for delivery. This can affect the mother’s ability to have a natural, non-invasive birth.” Seeking chiropractic treatment while pregnant ensures the pelvis is aligned, thus simplifying the birthing process.
- Post Partum Bounce Back. Many pregnant women wonder how long it will take to fit in their favorite clothes again, or find the time and energy to get back into a fitness routine once baby arrives. However, those who seek out chiropractic care for back pain during pregnancy experience better posture, less pain and increased mobility throughout the pregnancy. This allows them to be more active during the pregnancy and have an easier time falling into a fitness routine after baby’s arrival.
Back pain during pregnancy doesn’t have to be a part of your story. Seeking chiropractic care throughout your pregnancy allows you to focus on the more enjoyable parts of pregnancy and increase your overall health. For a less painful pregnancy, chances of an easier delivery and faster postpartum recovery, schedule an appointment with Dr. Knight today!