In research done by several Doctors have consistently found in autism, a combination of conditions including severe intestinal dysbiosis, systemic fungal, viral infections, mineral deficiencies, abnormal serotonin levels and an abundance of toxic materials such as mercury and other heavy metals. When an Autistic individual is suffering from heavy metal in the gut and brain it can create neurological dysfunctions.
Medical scientists at Arizona State University tell us that antibiotic use is known to almost completely inhibit excretion of mercury in rats due to alteration of gut flora. Thus, higher use of oral antibiotics in the children with autism may have reduced their ability to excrete mercury. Higher usage of oral antibiotics in infancy may also partially explain the high incidence of chronic gastrointestinal problems in individuals with autism. Many physicians are unaware of lasting adverse effects caused by routinely prescribed medications such as antibiotics. This is one of the main reason we feel it is extremely important to start a detox for an Autistic individual.
There are three main areas that need focus in order to rid the gut of these toxic heavy metals. We’ll cover the first one in this blog and follow up with two more.
STEP 1: DIET
We understand there is conflict where a diet for an Autistic individual is concerned. Below is what we have found to be very effective based on the clients we are working with, in addition to the research that we have done.
- Avoid Glyphosate. It is used to kill weeds, especially annual broadleaf weeds and grasses that compete with crops. This is why we recommend that you eat organic. When you choose to eat organic it eliminates the chances of having these poisons in your food. It is also a cause of “leaky gut” or intestinal permeability which can drive toxins deeper into the tissues.
- Increase good healthy fats. Good fats also support a healthy brain and cell membranes. Examples are Avocados, Cheese, Dark Chocolate, grass-fed butter, ghee, coconut oil, MCT oil, Whole Eggs, Fatty Fish, Nuts, Chia Seeds and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Eat NON-GMO. NON-GMO stand for Non-Genetically Modified Organisms. GMOs are novel organisms created in a laboratory using genetic modification/engineering techniques. Scientists and consumer and environmental groups have cited many health and environmental risks with foods containing GMOs
- Avoid processed sugars/foods that cause inflammation. Excess amounts of added sugar and refined carbs have been linked to inflammation. While the small amounts of fructose in fruits and vegetables are fine, getting large amounts from added sugars is not.
- Avoid bad oils – vegetable oils (soybean, canola, and safflower) and trans fats. Vegetable oils often contain massive amounts of trans fats. In one study that looked at soybean and canola oils found on store shelves in the U.S., about 0.56% to 4.2% of the fatty acids in them were toxic trans fats.
In the following blogs we will go over the detox process and adding in supplements.
If you have any questions regarding the information in this email please reach out to us. We can get an appointment scheduled or talk through the items of question.